Athena Swan

Athena Swan promotes and supports the diversity of all staff in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), and aims to address gender, race and sexual orientation inequalities and imbalance in these disciplines and, in particular, the under-representation of certain groups in senior roles.

Monday, 30 July 2018

Focus group meeting


26/07/2018
Women focus meeting notes

Present: Carol Gough, Anette Goetz, Natalia Walasek, Emily Butcher and Carmen Solana.

New items:
-         
           Anette Goetz delivered her inaugural talk on March 14.
-          Good news in the women front in SEES: Carmen Solana achieved the grade of Reader with effect from September.
-         A new 0.4 lecturer, Dr Jessica Roberts, will be joining us from September.
Discussion points:
-         With Janet and Carol retiring and some female PhD students finishing, we are missing some of our Female members. Fortunately we hope that new opportunities will open to new students.
-        We encouraged NW and EB to continue their research.
-        Since Michelle took over the department we feel that there are less “clicky male groups” and “bloke culture” and that there is more transparency on opportunities.
-        As AG and CS were the only academics able to attend, we did not discuss any of the recent opportunities for women (Aurora and Springboards programs) but we will do this in the next meeting in the Autumn.

Next meeting to be scheduled in September-October.

Tuesday, 19 June 2018

Athena Swan SAT meeting 17.04.18



Athena Swan SAT meeting 17.04.18: Notes and Actions

Notes

This meeting focussed on a presentation from Lesley Lee, University Equality and Diversity Advisor. Lesley summarised the recent changes in Athena Swan and key things to consider when putting in an application. Timing of application for SEES was discussed in the light of the potential merger with Geography. Ongoing Athena Swan actions were discussed.

Actions

Jim Smith – Continue to promote equality and Diversity training: link this to PDRs to encourage uptake. Include all staff plus PhD students.

Michelle Hale/Jim Smith – All staff focus group; half an hour at start of next academic staff meeting; all staff to be invited for session.

Sarah Reynolds – with Rob Inkpen, organise Women in Geo/Env/Geog Sci Event. Plan for Semester 2 2019 with all staff and undergrads in both departments invited. Potential speakers: Rachel Mills, Dean at Southampton Uni; Michelle Hale, Speaker from Geography, Ex-student. Aim for Wednesday afternoon.

Melvin Vopson/Jim Smith – Continue with blog

Jim Smith – Continue work on actions and feedback from last application. Timing for next application Autumn 2019.

"Equalbite: Gender equality in HE" e-book



The book ‘EqualBITE: Gender equality in Higher Education’ is a useful resource, available as an e-book at https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/other-books/equalbite/

Parents and Carers Working Group - Invitation for participants.

The Work/Life Balance and Family Friendly Policies Working Group of the University Athena SWAN Self-Assessment Team is leading on setting up a University Parents and Carers Network for staff, which is an  action in our University Athena SWAN Action Plan.  The full action is:-

"To set up a Parents and Carers community for staff to raise awareness of issues facing parents and carers and encourage mutual support and networking"

The members of the Working Group are:- Lesley Lee; Emma Scott-Ward, Academic Registry; Sherria Hoskins, Dean of Science; Darren Van Laar, Director of the Graduate School and Mihaela Cocea, School of Computing.

We have researched best practice in other Universities, and have had some initial discussions, but would now like to invite a wider group of staff who may be interested in helping set up such a group to get involved and share their ideas on the best approach.  We would like to hold a very informal meeting before the end of term to share information on the approaches other Universities have taken, and to get people's ideas on what would be effective here at Portsmouth.  Using that information, we will then work towards launching the new network in the new academic year.

If you are interested in getting involved, please contact Lesley Lee, University Equality and Diversity Adviser.

Monday, 14 May 2018

Career Pathways for Women in STEM

Career Pathways 2018
Date:  Tuesday 12th June Time: 11am – 6pm
Venue: Institute of Physics, 80 Portland Place, London W1B 1NT

The Women in Materials Group are delighted to announce the return of Career Pathways for Women in STEM this year. The event is kindly sponsored and hosted by the Institute of Physics and will be held at their central office located near Regent’s Park, London.

This event is a unique forum for inspiring female role models, who have used a science degree to underpin their careers, to share their employment experiences and challenges to date. Our speakers will be well-established professionals and eminent academics representing a diverse range of disciplines; from science policy and academia to entrepreneurship and engineering. We will also hear from recent graduates about the challenges faced make their early career choices.

This is an exciting opportunity to network, ask questions and engage with your fellow students in a supportive environment. All undergraduates and postgraduates are encouraged to attend, regardless of gender or academic background.

The venue is fully wheelchair accessible if there are any additional requirements we should know about please get in contact.
Travel costs to/from London will need to be covered by the individual. If you have any difficulty funding your own travel please email shazeaa.ishmael@lincoln.ox.ac.uk

To register interest, please sign up here: https://www.events.iop.org/e/career-pathways-for-women-in-science-d21a4adf78db40a1a8ef558ce608fd55/page.html
For more information about the event and speakers, please click attending on our Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1984754218508199/

Monday, 16 April 2018

Athena Swan SAT meeting 30.01.18: Notes and Actions


Athena Swan SAT meeting 30.01.18: Notes and Actions
Actions
Jim Smith – Continue to promote equality and Diversity training: link this to PDRs to encourage uptake. Include all staff plus PhD students.
Michelle Hale/Jim Smith – All staff focus group; half an hour at start of next academic staff meeting; all staff to be invited for session.
Sarah Reynolds – with Rob Inkpen, organise Women in Geo/Env/Geog Sci Event. Plan for December 2018 with all staff and undergrads in both departments invited. Potential speakers: Rachel Mills, Dean at Southampton Uni; Michelle Hale, Speaker from Geography, Ex-student. Aim for Wednesday afternoon.
Jim Smith – obtain data on success rates for internal promotions
Melvin Vopson – Continue with blog
David Franklin – Send survey of SEES leavers’ starting salaries in relation to gender/course.
Jim Smith – Continue work on actions and feedback from last application. Timing for next application April 2019.
Jim Smith – Email to PhD and undergrad students for missing posts on committee.
Jim Smith – Invite Lesley Lee (Equality and Diversity Adviser) to present at next SAT meeting, hopefully when University result is known.
 Notes
Female undergraduate focus group meeting was discussed – this was successful; thanks to Carmen for organising. Staff Gender/culture survey was discussed – SEES not bad, but could definitely do better. Address this by raising awareness of Athena Swan issues, Equality and Diversity training and addressing gender/culture issues as they arise.
Equality and Diversity Training was discussed. More than half of SEES staff have completed the training and remaining have been reminded to complete.
Women in Geo/Env/Geol Sci Event – planning progressing on this (see Actions); thanks to Sarah for volunteering to work with Rob Inkpen on this.
Application for Bronze award – need to show evidence that dept. culture is changing for next application. Agreed that we wait until University renewal application is complete before re-applying; so next application would be April 19.
Female undergrad focus group – thanks to David Franklin for organising. Outcomes were discussed.
If/when Physics move to Faculty of Technology, we will lose Melvin and Edith. Edith will pass twitter account over to Sarah (thanks to Sarah for taking over); Melvin has kindly agreed to keep the blog going.

Monday, 29 January 2018

SEES Female Focus Group meeting January 2018

SEES Female Focus Group meeting, January 18st 2018 - Notes by Carmen Solana

Present : Emily Butcher, Annette Goetz, Michelle Hale, Catherine Mottram,  Carol Gough, Natalia Walasek, Carmen Solana.

1.       Introduction and welcome.

2.       Themes previously raised (Black) and resolution/actions (red):
·          Although Athena swan has traditionally focused on females, we would like to broaden it into supporting equality in general: parents, staff with illnesses or disabilities, minorities, etc.
Although we ant to make this an inclusive group to support everybody that needs it, we decided that it is better to start with the focus of women in SEES.
·         While academic female staff enjoy the opportunity of flexible hours, technical and admin staff seem to encounter a very inflexible structure. Unfortunately they depend directly from human resources, but there might be opportunities to at least raise this issue. There are cases of good practice, such as James Coyne supporting Emily through allowing her more flexibility at work within her agreed hours. We therefore will support any initiative for admin and technical staff to have the opportunity to, in agreement with the line manager, have a less structured and more flexible working day around the “core hours”.
Currently the department supports flexibility for those that need it, but the policy and how to apply for this might not be clear. Michelle Hale to write to all the department highlighting the policy and application procedure.
·         The proposed academic year structure is still being debated and we would like to support the proposal that breaks (e.g. reading weeks/ easter/consolidation week/etc.) coincide with Hampshire schools half term weeks and Easter holidays.  Jim Smith as Athena coordinator, to write to David Sanders informing him of our support to this option.
Some success has been achieved in this front, with the University aligning the February and Easter reading weeks with school holidays.
·         The seminar series continues to run in “non family friendly” times. Catherine, the new organiser, has agreed to test running some of these seminars at lunchtime.
Catherine has scheduled some lunchtime seminars, some of which have been very successful. Issues were raised about participations of PhD students and possible coordination with MSc courses.
·         Michelle Hale shared her good experience on an intra-faculty all-female water researchers group and proposed that either the is opened to other female lecturers/researchers or to create a new group for SEES. We agreed that more interaction and support to research, paper writing and grant opportunities will be great, maybe starting with some regular  female researchers coffee mornings- to be opened to PhD and Post-doc students as well.
Partly successful
·         Different people proposed more interaction within the department in general. Specifically, Catherine and Anouska (one of the few post-docs in the department) have raised the issue of the lack of opportunities for interaction and to meet more people in the department.  Organising a monthly coffee morning has been proposed.
Michelle has already organised two coffee mornings and will continue to do so in regular basis.
·         Jessica Roberts, a regular external lecturer on the MSc in Crisis and Disaster Management raised the importance of opening opportunities for women in hourly contracts to formalise their contribution.
Pending

3.       New themes raised
·         More support between female researchers: we all want to write papers but gets postponed. Michelle shared again that she is part of a facebook group and suggested to try something similar in SEES.
·         Carmen to test creating a sees-women-researchers group to advertise times to “meet” to write papers- meaning to seat in a quiet area to each individually work in a paper.
·         To celebrate female success in this semester, to create a google docs document in which everybody adds their achievements, papers, applications (as well as Michelle’s advertising in the sees-staff group).

4.       Agreed actions and future meetings
·         Catherine: 1- to keep scheduling lunchtime seminars- but keep the afternoon ones as well . This semester there are more female speakers than male on the seminars! Good role models for pour female students! 2- To look into organising at some point a PhD students conference in which PhD students have to present their research.
·         Annette, to organise another women coffee morning around the end of March.
·         Michelle Hale: 1- To email around the department the flexible work policy and application instructions. 2-

·         Carmen: 1- To create the Google doc  “female achievent,  August 2017- Jan 2018” for all to contribute to, 2- To create the sees-female-researchers email group and start the ball rolling on advertising times for writing papers  and 3- to schedule a new meeting around June-july.

Thursday, 25 January 2018

Royal Society of Biology Best Practice Workshop 7th March 2018

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Royal Society of Biology, with support from the members of this Diversity and Inclusion working group, are holding an Athena SWAN best practice workshop on Wednesday 7th March 2018
Registrations for the event are now open, and a link to the event page can be found here: http://www.rsb.org.uk/AthenaSwan 
This event is free to attend and applications will close on 8th February. Successful applicants will be notified by the 14th February. Due to the tight timelines we would greatly appreciate your help in promoting this event. 
Please may you promote and share with your relevant networks, and anyone who might be interested, or involved in submitting an Athena SWAN application. These may be Heads of university departments, department administrators and anyone who has an active involvement in raising the profile of diversity and inclusion within their institutions. 
An overview of the programme is below: 
Programme
10:30   Registration, tea and coffee
11:00   Introduction to the event
           Dr Pat Goodwin FRSB, Royal Society of Biology Diversity Champion
11:10   Importance of the Athena SWAN charter
           TBC
11:40   Workshop 1: Designing Action Plans to be SMART
           Annie Ruddlesden, Equality Challenge Unit
12:40   Networking Lunch
13:40   Workshop 2: Qualitative data and descriptive analysis
           Dr Kevin Guyan, Equality Challenge Unit
14:40   Experiences of applying for Athena SWAN Bronze Award
           Dr Lucy Jones FRSB, Kingston University
15:00   Tea and Coffee break
15:15   Bridging the gap between Bronze and Silver Athena SWAN
           Dr Rachel Simmonds, University of Surrey
15:35   Panel Discussion
           Broadening participation and expanding the concept of Diversity and Inclusion
           Dr Lucy Jones FRSB, Kingston University; Dr Rachel Simmonds, University of Surrey;
           Mr Daniel Greenwood, Francis Crick Institute. Additional panel members TBC

Monday, 8 January 2018

Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics

To all Portsmouth female Physics students, please attend this presentation:
BB1.25
10 Jan at 13.00-13.15

There is an opportunity for a limited number of our female physics students to attend the Conference for Undergraduate Women in Physics:

CUWiPUK - 15-18 March 2018 University of Oxford

with expenses paid. For details see:


Previously our students have attended and thoroughly enjoyed it. Cherie and Kirsten attended last year and they are happy to discuss with any students interested in attending this year. 

To this end a meeting has been arranged for those interested 1300-1315  on Wed 10th Jan in BB1.25

The deadline for applications is 5pm, 19th January 2018 and I would definitely encourage you to take advantage of this great opportunity.
If you wish to apply to apply please prepare you application and confirm this in an email to:
chris.dewdney@port.ac.uk
 

Wednesday, 6 December 2017

2018 L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science UK & Ireland Fellowship Awards Programme

The 2018 L’Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science UK & Ireland Fellowship Awards Programme will open on Monday 4th December 2017 for applications. It will be awarding five outstanding female early-career scientists a bursary of £15,000. The fellowship awards are open to female early-career researchers working in the field of life and physical sciences, engineering, mathematics and computer sciences.

Please encourage as many applicants as possible to apply online at www.womeninscience.co.uk by the deadline of 16th February 2018

This unique award is designed to provide practical help to aid female researchers in continuing their cutting-edge research. The fellowship can be spent as the fellow wishes; it could buy a piece of scientific equipment, help to cover child care costs or be used to fund conference travel.
I have endeavoured to make it as easy as possible for you to promote these awards and with that in mind you will find the following assets attached to this email:
·        PDF of the promotional flyer
·        PDF of  our Poster
·        Social Media JPEG
You will also see we will be tweeting about the awards from our account @loreal_uki so please feel free to retweet and share our posts as appropriate.

Tuesday, 7 November 2017

SEES Female Staff Coffee meeting



Please, come and meet Thursday, 23rd November, 10:00-11:00 am at the Hub for our first Athena Swan Female Staff’s coffee morning.

Annette Goetz
Athena Swan Female Student Focus Group
Notes and Actions

Student Representatives: Katherine Tuley, Rosina Rennie, Ebony Acheampong, Marta Docal Morales, Rebecca Birch.    

SEES Athena Swan Committee members: David Franklin; Jim Smith

Notes
The group discussed differences in gender in Geo/Env Sciences at all stages from school to academic and non-academic careers. The students present didn’t report any obvious gender bias within the department. However, it was noted that the majority of teaching staff were white male. This led to a lack of ethnic diversity in teaching staff and, in some subjects, the teaching staff were almost exclusively male. It was noted that Environmental Science staff have an approximately 50/50 male to female ratio, whereas in the geological sciences there were fewer women. On the Masters courses, teaching is almost exclusively by male staff. It was suggested that it would be helpful to have more external female and ethnic minority speakers aimed at career paths. It was noted that the SEES Seminar Series had a good gender balance.

Gender specific tutorials had been suggested as a potential way to support female undergraduates and postgraduates. This was discussed: the group was unanimous that this was not necessary.

Fieldwork was discussed; some students reported no issues, but others felt that there could be better preparation for fieldwork, particularly in terms of preparing students for what to expect, and what would be expected of them, on field courses.

A Women in Geo/Environmental science event was discussed; this was felt to be useful if focussed on career opportunities for undergraduate and postgraduate students. To improve female participation in geo/environmental sciences, it was felt that efforts should be aimed at schools, particularly in the 11-14 age group before GCSE/A level choices had been made. The Student Ambassador scheme was discussed and it was felt that information/encouragement should be given to students in SEES to participate.

The international student experience at UoP was discussed: this was felt to be positive.

Actions
Women in Geo/Env Science event focussed on careers/employability – this is being pursued by the SEES Athena Swan committee together with Geography.

Raise awareness of the Student Ambassador scheme within SEES

Improved preparation for fieldwork. This issue will also be addressed in a joint study of diversity issues in fieldwork with Geography.


Ongoing aim to improve diversity of lecturing staff.

Monday, 6 November 2017

HE STEM Equality and Diversity - the Impact of the TEF and REF

HE STEM Equality and Diversity - the Impact of the TEF and REF
·         What are the implications for not engaging?

A SEPnet Workshop - Monday 4 December 2017, Queen Mary University of London

SEPnet is organising a one-day workshop to share good practice in addressing barriers to female progression in STEM and supporting under-represented groups with particular focus on the impact of the REF and TEF.
Successful REF and TEF submissions will increasingly depend on HEIs demonstrating evidence of robust diversity policies and practices. Presenters will provide an overview of progress to date highlighting examples of successful initiatives. Short case studies will be followed by group discussion to understand what key actions HE staff, responsible for diversity, can take to bring about real change. 

Programme and speakers:
·         Gender equality in an academic department - lessons learnt - Paul Walton, University of York

·         Widening Participation, the TEF and REF – recruitment and marketing - Averil Macdonald, Diversity Lead, SEPnet

·         Learning gain, attainment gaps and student diversity - Sally Jordan, Open University

·         Contracts, work allocation and the long hours’ culture - Peter Main, Kings College London

·         Athena SWAN and Project Juno Applications - top tips and pitfalls - Tracey Berry, Royal Holloway University of London

·         TEF/REF - what are the risks of not engaging? – panel discussion

This event is aimed at HE STEM staff responsible for diversity and inclusion including Athena SWAN, Project Juno and diversity champions, HR managers and academics. 

Refreshments will be provided. The workshop is FREE to attend, places are limited.  Contact veronica.benson@sepnet.ac.uk to book your place.

Wednesday, 1 November 2017

Alice Roberts: ‘Science needs more visible women’

Physical anthropologist, author, broadcaster and professor of public engagement in science, Alice Roberts is a 21st-century Renaissance woman. Her face might be most familiar from Channel 4’s Time Team, or BBC2’s Coast, or one of several Horizon programmes she has presented; but she is also a qualified medical doctor, an anatomist and the author of seven popular science books, including the Wellcome prize-nominated The Incredible Unlikeliness of Being.

Professor Alice Roberts pictured in her home city of Bristol.
Professor Alice Roberts. Photograph: Adrian Sherratt for the Guardian

Alice Roberts is on a mission to prove that science needs to engage with the public – and be more diverse.
Read more here: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/oct/27/alice-roberts-tamed-10-species-that-changed-our-world-interview


Wednesday, 25 October 2017

SAT Committee Actions and Notes

Athena Swan SAT meeting 16.10.17: Notes and Actions
Actions
ALL (esp. Jim) – Take more care with our email address lists so people don’t get missed off emails
Annette Götz – Arrange female staff coffee morning
Jim Smith – Promote equality and Diversity training: link this to PDRs to encourage uptake. Include all staff plus PhD students.
Michelle Hale/Jim Smith – All staff focus group; half an hour at start of next academic staff meeting; all staff to be invited for session.
Sarah Reynolds – with Rob Inkpen, organise Women in Geo/Env/Geog Sci Event.
Jim Smith – obtain data on success rates for internal promotions
Melvin Vopson – Update blog to better reflect new Athena Swan agenda. Check if automatic emails can be sent to followers when blog is updated. If not, Jim to email all staff with regular updates/items of interest.
David Franklin – Arrange female undergrad focus group.
Jim Smith – Continue work on actions and feedback from last application and review at next SAT meeting best timing for next application.
Jim Smith – Need an undergrad and PhD student on the SAT committee; will discuss at undergrad focus group and send email to PhD students (Orla is finishing soon).
Jim Smith – Invite Lesley Lee (Equality and Diversity Adviser) to present at next SAT meeting.
 Notes
Female focus group meeting was discussed – this was successful; thanks to Carmen for organising. Actions completed or included above.
Staff Gender/culture survey was discussed – SEES not bad, but could definitely do better. Address this by raising awareness of Athena Swan issues, Equality and Diversity training and addressing gender/culture issues as they arise.
Equality and Diversity Training was discussed. Aim to have all SEES staff having taken the training by Christmas.
Women in Geo/Env/Geol Sci Event – agreed that this was a good idea; thanks to Sarah for volunteering to work with Rob Inkpen on this.
Application for Bronze award – need to show evidence that dept. culture is changing for next application. DF suggested we wait until University renewal application is complete before re-applying; so next application would be Nov 18 or April 19.

Female undergrad focus group – thanks to David Franklin for organising. Any SAT members welcome to attend (pm 1st Nov).

Tuesday, 17 October 2017

Solutions to improve workplace culture


Research Associate at Murray Edwards College working on gender equality in careers, University of Cambridge, discusses various ways of improving workplace culture. 

Just talk – A first step would bring teams together in a facilitated, neutral meeting where evidence on workplace culture can be aired and women can describe issues they think they experience because of their gender. Teams can then discuss solutions with the help of the ideas that came from this research.

Making visible how things get done in practice – Power audits are needed by mixed gender teams after a project is finished to make visible how and where decisions were made. This will improve how gender diverse teams work together.

Building close relationships – A key insight from the research stresses the importance of extending mixed gender networks to make it more likely that a woman comes to mind when an opportunity arises. This might include networking with a social agenda: you might have “Walkabout Wednesdays” when everyone is expected to have coffee with someone new. Networking can also happen as a by-product of something useful: for example, “Take Two” buddy ups when you need cover for two hours while you do something outside work. Or it can be directly related to work, perhaps mixed-gender mentoring to share skills and perspectives on a project.

Bystanders amplify – Not having their comments and ideas heard in meetings is one of women’s biggest complaints. Men can help by amplifying a woman’s contribution when they notice it has not been heard; repeating their colleague’s idea and giving her credit.

Actions from leaders - Individual actions need to be authorised by leaders taking a clear stance. Male role models are needed to transform workplace culture – yet the men who take on this role often face backlash. Leaders can help by rewarding and supporting men who make changes to support gender parity.

Read full article here: https://theconversation.com/what-men-would-do-to-fix-the-workplace-equality-gap-67368?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook 

Monday, 9 October 2017

SEES Athena Swan SAT Committee Meeting


The next SEES Athena Swan Committee Meeting will be on Monday 16th October at 16:00 in The Hub. All SEES staff are welcome to come along or suggest an agenda item - please let Jim know if you wish to do so.

Thursday, 21 September 2017

SEES Committee Members

SEES Committee Lists 2017
School Executive
Michelle Hale (HoD)
Craig Storey
Nick Koor
David Franklin
Research and Innovation
Michelle Hale (HoD)
Craig Storey
Nick Koor
Jim Smith
Melvin Vopson
Annette Götz
Andy Gibson
Karen Musk
Learning and Teaching
Michelle Hale (HoD)
David Franklin
Dean Bullen
Anthony Butcher
Health & Safety
Michelle Hale (HoD)
James Coyne
Stephanie Barnett (SCES)
Susan Atkins
1 Vacancy due to retirement


Thursday, 7 September 2017

Widening participation in the Geosciences

Special Edition: Widening participation in the Geosciences
 
 
 
Book now for the Geological Society’s Athena SWAN Workshop – 22 September 2017

On 22 September the Geological Society will be holding a workshop to offer support to Earth Science Department representatives working within Self-Assessment Teams (or Working Groups) who are engaged in advancing equality and diversity and working towards obtaining or renewing an Athena SWAN award. 
The workshop will give participants an opportunity to discuss and deliberate the processes involved in obtaining or maintaining an Athena SWAN award. It will allow participants to discuss issues they may be experiencing, both good and bad, and to offer and seek advice from other applicants at similar stages of the awards process. This workshop is intended to foster positive collaborative support and to help develop an Earth

Science Athena Swan community.  Chaired by Dr Jennifer McKinley, a member of the Society’s Council, the programme will focus on a number of key areas:

•    Planning and Preparation
•    Departmental Analysis and Developing an Action Plan
•    Evidencing Impacts
•    Draft submissions
•    Perspective of an Athena SWAN Panellist
•    Pitfalls and things to avoid

This is an excellent opportunity for a representative of your department or institution to come along and talk with others who share the similar goals and challenges. The workshop is free to attend and is scheduled to take place from 11:00 until 15:00. Timings will be confirmed and a programme circulated closer to the day.

Lunch will be provided, and dietary requirements can be catered for, but we ask that you inform us when expressing your intention to attend. We hope that you or a colleague will be able to join us for the Society’s first workshop.

If you would like further information or to register your interest for the workshop please email diversity@geolsoc.org.uk